Recipe: Seeded Pretzels
Serves: Makes 12 Pretzels
Prep Time: 1.5 hours (proving time)
Cooking Time:20 minutes
- 2 cups warmed milk
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried yeast
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 4 1/2 cups plain flour
- 75g butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/3 cup bi-carb soda
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, roughly crushed
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the milk and sugar in a large bowl and stir to dissolve. Sprinkle over the yeast and stir to combine. Leave for 5 minutes for the yeast to start to activate.
- Add in the butter, flour and salt and mix until you have a sticky soft dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for around 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place the dough into a large bowl that has been lined with oil, cover and stand in a warm place to prove until doubles in size, around 1 hour.
- Pre heat the oven to 220 degrees C. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 12 even portions. Roll each portion into a rope around 70cm in length. Form each rope into a U shape, then cross the ends in the middle to form a loop. Twist the middle and fold the ends of the rope up over the pretzel.
- Place the bi-carb into a deep-sided frying pan of gently simmering water. Carefully dip the pretzels in the water and turn over. Place the pretzels onto 3 separate RACO nonstick oven trays. Mix the toppings together in a bowl and sprinkle over the pretzels
- Bake the pretzels for 15 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Serve warm with your favourite dip, butter or extra virgin olive oil.