Recipe by Courtney Roulston from Farm to Fork
Recipe: Family Aussie Beef Pie
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons squeaky gate extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 3 celery stalks, grated
- 2 x 500g beef mince
- Salt and Cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 heaped tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Vegemite
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 1.5 cups low salt beef stock
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry (or Careme brand puff pastry x 1 roll)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium/high heat, add in the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes to soften. Add in the grated carrot, celery, season with salt and continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and place the same pan back onto the heat. Add in the beef mince, pepper and salt and cook, breaking up with the back of a spoon for 5-6 minutes, or until the beef has browned. Stir through the tomato paste, Vegemite, Worcestershire sauce, corn flour and beef stock. Bring the mixture up to a gentle simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened. Then stir through the reserved vegetables.
- Pour the mixture into a 22x30cm pie tin. Allow the beef mixture to cool before placing the puff pastry onto the top of the pie. Cut a hole in the centre of the pastry to allow some air to escape while the pie is cooking.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the top of the pie is golden and flaky. Serve the pie hot with your choice of salad, boiled peas or mashed potato
On the hunt for a new frypan? Check out our selection of frypans and skillets here!