My family and I can't simply get enough of this flavoursome roast dish! We can eat it as a meal over rice and some bok choy or even by itself as a snack. Whatever it is, this roast pork does not last long and before you know it, it is all gone!
Before you start, select a reliable roasting tray from RACO. Check out our bakeware here.
- 1 kg quality pork belly
- 1 teaspoon 5 spice powder
- 1 teaspoon of ginger mince
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 cup of sea salt (for crackle)
12 hours before:
- On the top layer of the pork skin, prick or score the upper layer of the skin and flip it upside down over a kitchen towel.
- Mix all seasoning ingredients and rub them into the bottom part of the pork belly.
- Create a snug 'basket' out of aluminium foil by placing the meat right side up and fold the sides in making sure that there are no gaps. This is optional, but it can help with keeping the sides of the pork moist.
- Brush vinegar over the top and place uncovered in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
Time to cook:
- Set the oven to 180°C.
- Place one cup of salt over the skin and roast the meat for one hour.
- Remove pork belly from the oven and crank up the temperature to 240C. Tip: Always check your bakeware to ensure it can go all the way up to 240C. The RACO Aerolift range is oven safe to 240C.
- While the oven is heating up to the new temperature, remove the top layer of salt slab and place the baking tray in the oven for 20 mins.
Once it's done, let the meat rest for 10 mins before cutting up and serving to happy friends! Enjoy!