Serves 4 - 6.
Black rice pudding ingredients
- 100gm black rice
- 100gm black quinoa
- 1200ml water
- 1 pinch salt
- 100ml orange juice
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 star anise
- 1tblsp honey
- 400ml coconut milk
- 100gm sago
- The zest of 1 orange
Black rice method
- Take a large saucepan on high heat and add the black rice and quinoa and dry roast for 2-3mins. This will help to release a more nutty flavor, particularly within the quinoa.
- Add the water, salt, orange juice, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, and honey.
- Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer, cooking and stirring constantly for 15-20mins or until the rice and quinoa become soft.
- Add the coconut milk and sago. It may look like there's a lot of liquid but the sago will absorb everything. When you can still see a pin head sized white hard centre of the sage, remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the orange zest and serve with the stewed fruits and nuts and seed mix.
Stewed fruits ingredients
- 1 bunch rhubarb, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 pear, peeled and cut into 12 wedges
- 60gm caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, cut in half and seeds scraped
Nuts and seeds ingredients
- 60gm roasted chopped almonds
- 30gm toasted buckwheat
- 20gm toasted pepita seeds
- 20gm white and dark sesame seeds
Stewed fruit and nuts and seeds mix method
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
- Take a medium sized bowl, add the rhubarb, pear, sugar and vanilla pod and mix well. Lay this mixture on a baking tray and bake for 10-15mins or until dark caramel tones form on the fruit.
- For the nut and seed mix, take a bowl and mix the almonds, buckwheat, pepitas and sesame seeds until well combined. Sprinkle generously over the top of your porridge.
Tip: if you don't consume it all in one day, you can easily reheat it, but you will need to add more liquid as the sago is very thirsty and will set the mixture hard.
Use RACO Luminescence 18cm Covered Saucepan for perfect porridge every time.