Prep time 10mins
Cook time 30mins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 3/4 cup white quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 150ml white wine
- 1L vegetable stock
- 150g frozen peas
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced thinly
- 60g baby spinach
- 1 lemon, finely zested
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, plus leaves to serve
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, plus extra leaves to serve
- 50g parmesan, grated freshly
- 100g fresh ricotta
- Sea salt and black pepper to season
- Extra virgin olive oil to serve
- Add the vegetable stock to a pot and place over medium heat until to starts to simmer.
- On a large saute or saucepan heat a good drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Once hot add the onion and sweat for a couple of minutes. Then add the Barley, Quinoa and Pumpkin Seeds, turn through the onion and oil to toast.
- Add the white wine and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add stock a ladle at a time and gently stir until the liquid is absorbed, repeat this process until the quinoa and barley are hydrated.
- Combine the spinach, lemon, basil, mint and cream in a jug, blend until smooth. Add to the risotto with the peas, asparagus and parmesan, stir through until combined and heat until the vegetables have heated through.
- Serve risotto topped with crumbled ricotta, basil and mint leaves. Finish it with fresh cracked black pepper at the table.
RACO's tried and tested cookware essentials will ensure you cook the perfect risotto every time. Try: